SUPPORT FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS IN CRISIS
As institutions take preventative steps to stop the spread of the COVID-19, the National Runaway Safeline recognizes the strain and potential crises resulting from college and university closures on students who rely on school for housing, food, hygiene and support.
We are here to help students in crisis 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you are in crisis, call our free, confidential hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or click here to use our live chat.
If you are having trouble getting home or to another living arrangement, our Home Free program may be an option. In partnership with Greyhound, the Home Free program helps young people ages 12-21 in crisis return to family or another safe living arrangement at no cost.
While we will work to get you home, we want to ensure you are safe throughout the process and upon returning. To accomplish this, there are a few steps we follow before issuing your bus ticket:
- First, a crisis services team member will help you talk through your situation (i.e. where and to who you would be going).
- Next, we initiate a conference call with the person that you are requesting to return to (i.e. your legal guardian or alternative living arrangement) to confirm all parties involved are on the same page with the situation. We’ll also share logistics of returning home (i.e. getting to the Greyhound station, short/long term living situation, ticket pick-up).
- Finally, we will ask for identification that verifies your name and DOB, as well as documentation that connects you to the person that you will be living with.
- Once we receive the required identification, we will work with Greyhound to issue a bus ticket for you.
To see if you are eligible and start the process, call us at 1-800-786-2929.
With such a large portion of college/university students who already faced housing instability and food insecurity, we know that not everyone has a home to go back to. We’re here for you.
- Free, Confidential, Non-judgmental Support. Our crisis services team is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to help youth in crisis through our 1-800-786-2929 hotline and online services that include live chat, emails and forums at 1800RUNAWAY.org.
- Connection to Local Resources. With the nation’s largest database of social service agencies and programs, we can offer referrals for young people to resources such as shelter, food pantries, mental health services and more.